The new Pavilion is progressing well, although the project has slipped by 1.5 weeks due to a delay in roofing materials and labourers. Mixbrow hope to recoup some of this time so it is hoped the building will still be finished in early September. Budget is currently on track, but we are awaiting some costings to be finalised (CCTV, kitchen fit out and plumbing) which may have an impact on the final cost. There are also some potential savings to be made. The lorry delivering tiles caused some damage at the entrance to the car park. Mixbrow and the architect have been made aware.
Topping Out Ceremony
This took place on Thursday 14th July and a number of Councillors and residents participated. It is hoped there will be a piece in the EADT.
It is proposed that there is an opening ceremony in early October with afternoon tea and a celebration cake. It has been suggested that a local resident should be invited to open the Pavilion with Cllr Porter. The primary school has also been invited to take part. This will be managed by the Pavilion Working Group.
The Recreation Committee agreed the following charges at their July meeting, which have been circulated to Full Council by email for comment and approval. The charges will be reviewed shortly after opening and will be reviewed annually in May:
- Sessions will be morning, afternoon and evening (9am-1pm, 1.30pm-5pm 5.30pm -10pm)
- £25 for weekday daytime sessions
- £30 for evening and weekend sessions
- No hourly rate (unless at our discretion)
- 10% discount for charities/community groups and residents hiring for non-commercial events.
The Recreation Committee reviewed the Hire Agreement as detailed in Appendix A. They have asked that it is reviewed by FERM due to the element of risk it carries. It is also proposed that it is reviewed by our solicitors who have quoted £250
We have approached five companies for quotes for cleaning the Pavilion and two have responded:
||Price per Hour
||Set up charge
||£13.00 or £13.50 if providing their own products
||We reckon it will take 2-3hrs for toilets, kitchen space & hall area & about 1hr to clean the external toilet daily.
Prices do not include VAT
||£17.50 plus VAT
||£150 plus VAT for materials depending on length of contract
||Would like to store chemicals
The Recreation Committee selected Company 1 but have expressed a desire for the arrangement to be relatively flexible and reviewed soon after opening to assess the frequency and scope of cleaning required.
We are seeking clarity on what Business Rates, if any, will be applicable. Estimated running costs are in the region of £700 per month (without business rates or booking system). Budget allocated for this financial year is £663 a month. This does not include any predicted income.
Promotion and bookings
There have been a couple of enquiries about using the hall already. We will be running a campaign through the usual comms channels to promote the Pavilion. The Burness Rooms will also pass on our details if they cannot fulfil a booking request.
We have looked at the booking system that comes with our accounting system Scribe. The software costs £348.00 for a year (you are charged annually not monthly) with a set up cost of £247. Recreation Committee agreed that we would start with the office managing the bookings and then if it becomes too much to handle manually, we could implement the booking system – trialling for a couple of months before committing.
Members are asked to:
- Note the contents of this report
- Review the Hire Agreement and decide if they wish to submit it for a legal review
Clerk and Executive Officer, Melton Parish Council
Pavilion Hire Agreement
The Pavilion is located at the Recreation Ground on Melton Road. The Pavilion was built in 2022 and provides a small hall for meetings, lectures, parties, exercise classes and small group gatherings. There is a small kitchen and three toilets. There is a car park at the Recreation Ground entrance and an accessible pathway to the Pavilion building. We welcome everyone from local and community groups to commercial organisations and private individuals.
- Hirer’s Responsibilities
- For the purposes of these conditions, the term Hirer shall mean an individual hirer or, where the Hirer is an organisation or group, the authorised representative. The Hirer shall be over 18 years of age.
- The Hirer is the Event manager and, during the period of the hiring, shall be responsible for supervision of the premises, the fabric and the contents; their care, safety from damage however slight, and the behaviour of all persons using the premises whatever their capacity: including proper supervision of car parking and young persons under 18 years.
- Use of the Premises
- The Hirer shall not use the premises for any purpose other than that advised at the time of booking. Bookings will be taken at the discretion of Melton Parish Council.
- Standard operating hours are 8.00 to 22:00
- The capacity 45 persons in the hall must not be exceeded
- The Hirer shall not sub-hire or use the premises or allow the premises to be used for any unlawful purpose, or in any unlawful way nor do anything or bring onto the premises anything which may endanger the same or render invalid any insurance policies.
- The Hirer will be responsible for obtaining any licences that are needed and for the observance of the same.
- The premises will not be used for any form of adult entertainment of a sexual nature.
- The Pavilion is not to be hired for evening celebrations.
- No smoking, vaping or use of electronic cigarettes is allowed anywhere in the Pavilion or immediate vicinity.
- Doors and windows must be managed during events to ensure that excess noise likely to cause nuisance does not escape from the building.
- The Hirer must ensure that both shutters are fully raised before commencing activities.
- The Hirer is requested to ensure that users leave quietly and have consideration for local residents.
- Catering and Alcohol
- There is a small kitchen with a fridge, oven and hob. Melton Parish Council does not provide catering services, so hirers must make their own arrangements if required.
- The sale of alcohol in any form is not permitted unless a Temporary Event Notice has been obtained from East Suffolk Council. Alcohol is permitted for private events where not sold.
- The Pavilion has a TheMusicLicence that allows music to be played in the Pavilion.
- The Hirer shall reimburse Melton Parish Council for the cost of any repair or damage done to any part of the property including the curtilage thereof or the contents of the buildings which may occur during the period of the hire because of the hiring.
- The Hirer shall be responsible for making arrangements to insure against any third-party claims which may lie against them (or the organisation if acting as a representative) whilst using the Premises. (The Pavilion is insured against any claims arising out of its own negligence).
- Children Act–Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
- The Hirer will take relevant safeguarding precautions in respect of any children, young people or vulnerable adults attending the sessions at the Pavilion. The Hirer shall ensure that any activities for children comply with relevant legislations and that only fit and proper persons have access to the children. Except for private parties, where events are organised for children, the Hirer shall have a valid certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service and the Hirer shall take full responsibility for any other persons engaged to look after children.
- There shall be a minimum of three competent persons over 18 years of age to supervise all children’s events. Children are not allowed in the Hall unaccompanied.
- Where the event is predominantly for children under the age of 16 years there shall be additional adult supervision. The NSPCC recommends:
Aged 0 – 2 years: 1 adult to 3 children
Aged 2 – 3 years:1 adult to 4 children
Aged 4 – 8 years:1 adult to 6 children
Aged 9 – 12 years:1 adult to 8 children
Aged 13 – 18 years:1 adult to 10 children.
- Health and Hygiene
- The Hirers shall, if preparing, serving or selling food, ensure all relevant food health and hygiene legislation and regulations are adhered to.
- The Hirer shall familiarise themselves with the location of the First Aid Kit.
- Fire Safety
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (RRO) covers the relevant responsibilities for Fire Safety of the Pavilion. Under this agreement, the Hirers shall bear the responsibility for fire safety for the duration of the hire.
The Hirer must:
- Be familiar with the layout of the building and escape routes as indicated by the green ‘running man’ signs and ensure that these routes are kept free from obstruction.
- Be familiar with the contents of the Fire Action Notices located at various points throughout the building, which inform you what to do in the event of a fire.
- Ensure that any electrical equipment used in connection with your hiring eg sound systems has been suitably tested by a competent person and is safe.
- Not use unauthorised heating appliances or highly flammable substances.
- Ensure that exit signs and the emergency lighting supply illuminating exit signs and routes is turned on the whole time the event is in progress.
- Ensure that the Fire Brigade is called to all fires no matter how small and that Melton Parish Council is informed.
- At the end of the hire the Hirer must ensure that the Pavilion is in a clean and tidy state with floors swept and tops in the kitchen area cleaned as necessary so that the Pavilion is in a good condition for the next user.
- All waste must be removed from the Pavilion at the end of each hire period. Unless other arrangements have been made, the Hirer must, on leaving the building, ensure that the heaters/air con is turned off and that doors and shutters are securely locked.
- The Hirer shall ensure that no animals (including birds) except assistance dogs are brought into the Hall.
- Booking Charges
- The cost of hiring the Pavilion can be found at melton-suffolk-pc.gov.uk/pavilion
- To secure the booking, all fees must be paid at the time of the booking as well as signing the hire agreement.
- Melton Parish Council reserves the right to refuse or cancel a booking at any time without notice, prior to or during the booking event.
- The hirer shall be entitled upon such notice to reimbursement of the hire charge.
- If the Hirer wishes to cancel their booking seven days’ notice will be required, otherwise the Hire charge will still apply.