01394 382224 (Phone)
Documents

PLA(21)M04 Minutes of Planning & Transport Committee on 9th June 2021

Planning & TransportPlanning & Transport Minutes Uploaded on June 16, 2021

PLA(21)M04

 

Planning and Transport Committee   

Minutes of the meeting of the Melton Parish Council Planning and Transport Committee held on Wednesday 9 June 2021 at 17 Riduna Park, Station Road, Melton IP12 1QT and via Zoom, commencing at 19:00.

Present:

Cllr Mr N Brown (in the Chair)

Cllr Mrs D Darby

Cllr Mrs E J G Hilson

Cllr Mr M Holmes

Absent:
Cllr Mrs C Gradwell Cllr Mr A Porter
  In Attendance:
Melton Parish Council Footpaths Advocate

Mr W J Grosvenor Clerk and Executive Officer to Melton Parish Council

Mrs P Alder Assistant Clerk and Management Officer

Cllr Mrs B Abbott

Cllr Mr B Banks

Cllr Mr P James

6 members of the public

 

 

PART ONE – OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
21.50 ELECTION OF CHAIR AND VICE-CHAIR OF PLANNING AND TRANSPORT COMMITTEE

It was RESOLVED that Cllr Brown be elected Chair of Planning and Transport Committee.

Proposed by: Cllr Holmes                        Seconded by: Cllr Darby

It was AGREED to defer a decision on the Vice-chair until a subsequent meeting.

21.51 TO RECEIVE APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Gradwell and Porter.

21.52 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
21.52.01 To receive Amendments to the Register

There were none.

21.52.02 To Receive Declarations of Pecuniary Interest in Respect of Items on the Agenda

There were none.

21.52.03 To receive Declarations of Non-Pecuniary Interest in Respect of Items on the Agenda

Cllr Darby declared a non-pecuniary interest as a local resident in respect of Item 21.57.01.

21.52.04 To Consider Full / Partial Dispensations for Pecuniary Interests Declared

There had been no requests for dispensations.

21.53 OPEN FORUM FOR MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC TO TALK TO COUNCILLORS

·         The applicant in respect of Planning application DC/21/1354/FUL (Melton  Boatyard – Agenda Item 21.56.01) was invited to address the meeting. He explained that the purpose of the application is to level the existing site to create additional parking. There will be no construction works nor buildings created. Additional parking on site will ease parking problems which have been reported in Dock Lane and River View and also improve access to commercial premises by larger vehicles which sometimes at present find it difficult to get through. Once completed, the new area may also be used for storage of cradles and small craft. It is also desired to provide toilet facilities for visitors to HMS Vale during the summer months. The applicant also wanted to stress, in relation to one of the objections, that there is no one permanently living on the site.

·         The applicant in respect of Planning application DC/21/1895/FUL (30 The Dell, Melton Road – Agenda Item 21.56.02) was invited to address the meeting. He wanted to address any concerns that have been raised by neighbours about the application for extensive changes to his home. He explained the proposals, clarified that the proposed workshop will be for hobbies only (not business), and said how he had taken pre-planning advice from East Suffolk Council, and reduced the size of the loft extension side windows on the advice of the Planning Officer. He has also sought to engage with both his neighbours in respect of the proposals.

·         Cllr Abbott raised the Electoral Commission’s latest draft recommendations in respect of the electoral divisions for Suffolk County Council from 2025. She expressed concern and wished to highlight the impact that the proposals would have on Melton if implemented as now proposed. Most of Melton – south of Woods Lane and Wilford Bridge Road – would be in the Woodbridge Division for county council purposes. The remainder – Melton village and Melton Park – would be in the Wilford Division. Full Council on 16 June will decide on Melton Parish Council’s response, however Councillors Holmes, Hilson and Darby all expressed themselves to be against these proposals which for county purposes at least, would split the parish and undermine the separate identity and community cohesion of Melton.

21.53.01 Report from the Parish Council’s Cycling Advocate

There was nothing to report.

21.53.02 Report from the Parish Council’s Footpaths Advocate

The Council’s Footpaths Advocate reported that the path through Leeks Wood is suffering from over-use and needs effective management. The Assistant Clerk explained that the problem is known to Recreation Committee, which already has it on its radar for action to mitigate the effects of over-use.

21.54 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

It was RESOLVED to agree the Minutes of the Planning and Transport Committee meeting held on 22 April 2021 (Minutes PLA(21)M03 and Minutes PLA(21)M03 CONFIDENTIAL previously distributed).

Proposed by: Cllr Hilson                          Seconded by: Cllr Brown

21.55 TO REVIEW TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR PLANNING AND TRANSPORT COMMITTEE AND MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS TO FULL COUNCIL

Paper PLA(21)55 previously distributed was received.

Following discussion it was AGREED to recommend to Full Council that:

·         The composition of the Committee be revised from a “Minimum of five Members, maximum of seven”, to a “Minimum of four Members, maximum of eight”.

·         The meeting frequency be revised from “Monthly” (abandoned in favour of six weekly meetings since Covid-19) to “Six weekly or as required”.

21.56 TO REVIEW NEW PLANNING APPLICATIONS RECEIVED
21.56.01 DC/21/1354/FUL Melton Boatyard, Dock Lane, Melton

Application to create a general purpose hard standing area; the proposed use for which will be car parking, additional boat storage and boat cradles, together with toilet facilities (including disabled facilities).

It was RESOLVED to recommend approval of the application, as Melton PC Planning and Transport Committee considers the application to be in line with the National Planning Policy Framework, the Suffolk Coastal Local Plan and the  Melton Neighbourhood Plan.

21.56.02 DC/21/1895/FUL The Dell, Melton Road, Melton

Proposed cosmetic changes to front bay windows, a single storey wrap around side and back extension with flat roof, large dormer loft conversion not affecting the front roof pitch, demolition of existing garage, and a new side extension to follow similar footprint of garage.

It was RESOLVED to recommend approval of the application, as Melton PC Planning and Transport Committee considers the application to be in line with the National Planning Policy Framework, the Suffolk Coastal Local Plan and the  Melton Neighbourhood Plan.

21.56.03 DC/21/2325/FUL 3 The Debenside, Melton

Proposed single storey front extension and other alterations.

It was RESOLVED to recommend approval of the application, as Melton PC Planning and Transport Committee considers the application to be in line with the National Planning Policy Framework, the Suffolk Coastal Local Plan, the  Melton Neighbourhood Plan, and it is not aware of any objections from residents.

21.56.04 DC/21/2335/FUL 2 Yarmouth Road, Melton

Proposed flat roof extension and other alterations.

It was RESOLVED to make no comment on this application.

21.57 TO REVIEW UPDATES ON OTHER PLANNING APPLICATIONS
21.57.01 DC/20/1831/OUT Land off St Andrews Place and Waterhead Lane, Melton

Residential development of up to 55 dwellings, with access off St Andrews Place.

Melton PC has consistently recommended refusal of this application on the grounds that access via the St Andrew’s estate is neither supported by the Neighbourhood Plan nor considered acceptable in planning terms. On 30 March 2021 East Suffolk Council Planning Committee (South) considered the application and delegated authority to determine to the Head of Planning and Coastal Management on the basis of approval being granted subject to no objections being received from Natural England and / or Suffolk County Council as Lead Local Flood Authority, a s106 Agreement detailing highways improvement works, affordable housing provision, a contribution to the Suffolk Coast RAMS and controlling conditions 1 to 25 as set out in the decision; otherwise to refuse. Since the decision was made, following legal representations from an objector, East Suffolk Council has agreed to remit the application back to the Planning Committee (South) for re-consideration. A date for this is awaited. It was AGREED that the Parish Council will continue to maintain a strong objection to development proposals which include access via St Andrews. Cllr Darby distributed copies of a flyer produced by local residents to encourage people to forward their objections to East Suffolk Council and insist that Councillors on the Planning Committee (South) carry out a site visit to look at the access before considering the application again.

21.58 TO REVIEW PLANNING NOTICES RECEIVED

No new Notices were received.

21.59 TO REVIEW THE POSITION ON EXISTING PLANNING APPEALS

Nothing to report.

21.60 SIZEWELL C UPDATE

The link below gives access to the Sizewell C page on the Melton PC website which contains up to date information:

https://melton-suffolk-pc.gov.uk/sizewell-c/

Cllr Banks reported as follows:

·         Following his report to Full Council on 5 May, the leaflet and survey on night trains was distributed on 7 May and the responses included in the submission made to the Planning Inspectorate on 2 June. That submission set out the context of Melton’s concerns, which are focused on traffic and transport, and provided detailed responses in particular on issues relating to servicing the project via road and rail. The full submission was accompanied by a summary report as well.

·         There is now (from 11 June to 12 July) further consultation on “small proposed changes” to EDF’s planning application.

·         In July there will be Issue Specific Hearings to explore in detail a specific issue or set of issues arising from the application. Final decisions on what exactly will be covered will be made by the Examining Authority. For Melton transport related items will be the biggest issues. And involvement in those will need to be confirmed by 24 June.

·         The EDF Sizewell Project Team has proposed a virtual meeting with representatives of Melton Parish Council, and it is anticipated that Woodbridge Town Council will be represented at the meeting as well.

·         Cllr Banks referred to all the information available on the Melton PC website, including a clear summary of the information submitted to the Planning Inspectorate on 2 June, as well as the implications of running night trains close to dwellings.

·           Melton’s position is that, in terms of servicing the project, moving goods by sea is preferable, otherwise by rail in the daytime. Other respondents to the consultation seem to be saying the same thing.

21.61 MELTON NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN REFRESH

Cllr Brown summarised the position by saying that until the situation on the St Andrews Place / Waterhead Lane planning application is clear, the refresh will need to be on hold. The Clerk drew Members’ attention to a recent Government announcement on a new policy regarding “First Homes”, a new type of affordable housing for first time buyers that must be discounted by at least 30% against market value. It will be delivered through the planning system via two routes: developer contributions and via “exception sites” – sites not allocated in Local Plans. Provision for First Homes will need to be reflected in Neighbourhood Plans, and thus will be an issue for the refresh of Melton’s Neighbourhood Plan.

21.62 TO CONSIDER HIGHWAYS, TRAFFIC AND PARKING MATTERS
21.62.01 Report from Local Transport Officer (LTO)

No report was received.

21.62.02 Proposed pedestrian crossings and other road safety issues in Melton Road – update

The Assistant Clerk reported that revised changes to the position of the Melton Road crossing have been received from Highways. It is now proposed to be located outside the car park of the Coach and Horses. It was AGREED to carry out a 21 day consultation of residents / businesses along Melton Road from Dock Lane in the north to the Spar shop in the south to obtain feedback on this new proposal.

21.62.03 Quiet Lanes initiative – update

The Clerk reported that everything is now in place for Melton to go with Wave 3 in respect of St Audrys Lane and Lodge Farm Lane.

21.62.04 Speed management issues – update

The Assistant Clerk reported that the newest and “superior” speed indicator device (SID) is performing well on Woods Lane. In response to a question about production of data, the Assistant Clerk promised to retrieve the latest information as soon as time allows. The older “inferior” SID is currently located on Melton Road with the Council’s Maintenance Officer changing the batteries as required. It will be periodically moved around to the other locations where the SID infrastructure is in place. In relation to the automatic number plate recognition camera project (ANPR), the Assistant Clerk pointed out that whilst Woods Lane has been identified as a suitable site for a periodic visit, the arrangements require extensive paperwork and the support of the County Councillor yet will not result in any prosecutions. Given that the site already has the SID nearby and is visited by motorcycle police on an ad hoc basis, it is not considered a priority.

21.62.05 To consider request for a pedestrian crossing at the top of Bredfield Road – update

The Assistant Clerk reported that she passed on the request to Highways which resulted in her being informed that East Suffolk Council has allocated CIL monies for pedestrian / cycling improvements. Her Highways contact will liaise with East Suffolk and get back to her with further information.

21.62.06 Bentwaters traffic issues: Joint Parish Group – update

Cllr Brown reported no developments as yet. The promised monitoring has so far not yielded any data, and he is chasing.

21.62.07 Dock Lane parking / traffic issues

The Clerk reported correspondence from residents of Dock Lane, expressing concerns about the size and weight of lorries visiting the premises of Coastal Building Supplies. Following discussion, and recognising that the Parish Council has no highways’ powers, it was AGREED that the Clerk will request Highways to carry out an assessment of the issues via Cllr Nicoll.

21.63 TO CONSIDER PLANNING ENFORCEMENT MATTERS
21.63.01 East Suffolk Council Authorised Enforcement Action – Case update

Nothing to report.

21.64 PLANNING COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN’S URGENT BUSINESS

There was none.

21.65 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will take place on Wednesday 21 July 2021, commencing at 19:00 at 17 Riduna Park, Station road, Melton IP12 1QT. There being no further business, the meeting closed at 20:55.