PLA(22)M04 Minutes of Planning and Transport Committee 8th June 2022

Planning & TransportPlanning & Transport Minutes Uploaded on June 13, 2022


Minutes of the meeting of Melton Parish Council Planning and Transport Committee held on Wednesday 8th June 2022, commencing at 19:00 at 17 Riduna Park, Station Road, Melton IP12 1QT.                                                                                                                                                          


Cllr Brown (in the Chair)

Cllr Darby

Cllr Gradwell

Cllr Holmes

Cllr Porter


Mr A Corston

Cllr Hilson

In Attendance:

P Alder Clerk to Melton Parish Council

F Waters Assistant Clerk to Melton Parish Council

Cllr Stearn

District Councillor Smith-Lyte

3 members of the public

Minutes – Open to the Public

Item No         Item to be discussed


22.47              Election of the Chair and Vice Chair

Cllr Brown was re-elected as the Chair and Cllr Darby as the Vice Chair.

Proposed by: Cllr Porter           Seconded by: Cllr Gradwell

22.48              To receive apologies for absence

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Hilson and Mr A Corston

22.49              Declarations of Interest

22.49.01            To receive Amendments to the Register

There were none

22.49.02            To receive Declarations of Pecuniary Interest in Respect of Items on the Agenda

There were none

22.49.03            To receive Declarations of Non Pecuniary Interest in Respect of Items on the Agenda

There were none

22.49.04            To consider Full / Partial Dispensations for Pecuniary Interests Declared

There were none

22.50             Public Participation Session     

22.50.01            To receive a report from the Council’s Cycling Advocate

The Cycling Advocate was not present and no report was received

22.50.02            To receive a report from the Council’s Footpaths Advocate

The Footpaths Advocate was not present – apologies were received – and no report was received

22.50.03            To consider the Community Governance Review (CGR)

The 1st draft of the CGR was reviewed. The only proposed change is to move the Parish boundary so that the old Council offices site on Melton Hill sits wholly in Woodbridge. Melton Parish Council was in favour of this proposal. The consultation runs from 30th May to 8th July and is on the agenda for next week’s Full Council to agree any formal response.

22.51              To approve the Minutes of the Previous Meeting

It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 20th April 2022 (PLA(22)M03 previously distributed) were be received, noted and signed as a correct record by the Chair.

Proposed by: Cllr Porter                       Seconded by: Cllr Gradwell

It was RESOLVED to take the following item out of order on the agenda

22.60.03            Speed management and Road Safety issues – update

Paper PLA(22)60.03 previously distributed was discussed.

Proposal to include Bredfield Road and Pytches Road in the Woodbridge 20mph scheme – Councillors appreciate and understand the concerns of residents regarding speeding. The concern with a 20mph limit is that it needs to be enforced to be effective and if drivers speed in a 30mph zone they will almost certainly speed in a 20mph zone. It was felt that designing out the problem (eg speed bumps, chicanes etc) may be more effective. There were also concerns about the unknown costs for the Council if they did agree for these Melton roads to be included in the scheme. It was AGREED that if the cost could be borne by others, or that the costs for Melton would be negligible, then it should be supported but more detail was needed before committing the council. It will be taken to Full Council next week for ratification.

Bredfield Road Pedestrian Improvements – Cllr Nicoll has agreed to fund £4k of the costs of the feasibility study and Cllr Smith-Lyte has offered to try to fund the remaining £3,611.44. If she is unable to fund in full then members AGREED to propose to Full Council that up to 50% (£1,800) should be funded from the Parish Neighbourhood CIL funds. It has been confirmed that the verge is deemed to be Highway’s (email received from SCC Highways engineer on 7th June 2022) and the feasibility study includes the possibility of installing a pedestrian refuge.

Speed Reduction for Wilford Bridge Road – it was AGREED that it should be proposed to Full Council that MPC should pay for the speed limit report. The estimate to carry out the design, TRO and works ranges from £5-10k.

SID – It was AGREED that a proposal would be taken to Full Council to upgrade the latest SID to one with a smiley/angry face for £500 but that a 4th SID would not be purchased at this time. The Clerk is liaising with the company who supplied the original SID about a solar panel and battery improvements.

Proposed by: Cllr Gradwell                   Seconded by: Cllr Holmes

A request had been received by email to consider the installation of bus shelters at the bus stops on Yarmouth Road near Melton Park. Highways had estimated these would cost in the region of £36k. There could be issues with land ownership and it was felt that because MPC doesn’t own the land, that it isn’t a very popular bus route and we don’t have the budget this would not be progressed at this time.

It was RESOLVED to revert to the order of the agenda.

22.52              To review new Planning Applications received

22.52.01            DC/22/1855/VOC 38 Hall Farm Road 
A number of residents have objected to this variation of consent. It was AGREED unanimously to recommend refusal on the grounds that the amenity of the residents should be protected at weekends.
22.52.02            DC/22/1826/FUL Trefoil House
It was felt that this application could not be considered without input from East Suffolk’s Arboriculture and Landscape Manager due to risk of damage to trees with TPOs.

22.53              To review Terms of Reference for Planning and Transport Committee and make recommendations to Full Council

No changes were proposed

22.54              To review updates on other Planning Applications

22.54.01            DC/20/1831/OUT Land off St Andrews Place and Waterhead Lane, Melton

Residential development of up to 55 dwellings, with access off St Andrews Place. Melton PC has consistently recommended refusal of this application on the grounds that access via the St Andrew’s estate is neither supported by the Neighbourhood Plan nor considered acceptable in planning terms. On 30 March 2021 East Suffolk Council Planning Committee (South) considered the application and delegated authority to determine to the Head of Planning and Coastal Management on the basis of approval being granted subject to no objections being received from Natural England and / or Suffolk County Council as Lead Local Flood Authority, a s106 Agreement detailing highways improvement works, affordable housing provision, a contribution to the Suffolk Coast RAMS and controlling conditions 1 to 25 as set out in the decision; otherwise to refuse. Since the decision was made following legal representations from an objector East Suffolk Council has agreed to remit the application back to the Planning Committee (South) for re-consideration. The Planning Committee (South) reconsidered the application at their meeting on the 22nd February 2022. Committee members carried out a site visit through St Andrews prior to the meeting. Although recommended for approval by the Planners the Committee voted for the application to be refused on matters relating to Highway Safety.

Information from Fire Service has been distributed to members. A new, but invalid, application for five – DC/22/1739/OUT has been received by ESC but it is not publicly available yet.

No further information or planning application has been received.

22.55              To review Planning Notices received

No new Notices have been received.

22.56              To review the position on existing Planning Appeals

22.56.01            AP/21/0039/REFUSE Land off Yarmouth Road, Melton

An appeal has been made to the Secretary of State by Christchurch Land & Estates (Melton) Ltd against the decision of East Suffolk Council to refuse planning consent for a Care Village comprising an 80-bedroom care home together with 72 assisted care bungalows, club house, bowling green, car parking, open space provision with associated infrastructure and access. The Secretary of State has, with the consent of the parties, agreed to determine the appeal at a Public Inquiry, which was due to take place on 14 December 2021 but was postponed. The appeal took place w/c 15th March with Cllr Brown attending and participating. The decision has yet to be received,
No decision has been received as of 8th June.


22.57              Melton Hill – Former Council Offices

Cllr Brown reported that he and a number of Councillors from Woodbridge Town Council had met with the Developer Rose a few weeks ago and had been reassured that the Developer intended to use traditional materials and styles and would consult appropriately with Melton and Woodbridge residents. A public consultation is being carried out at the site on Thursday 16th June from 2-8pm. All Councillors have been invited and the event has been publicised through the usual comms channels.

22.58  Sizewell C update           

On 16th February 2022, MPC submitted a final representation to the Secretary of State emphasising our opposition to EDF’s night train proposals and also summarising our positions on the wider Sizewell C planning application, particularly the latter’s all-important freight transport strategy.

The Secretary of State originally had until the 25 May 2022 to make a decision on the SZC application but on the 8 May it was announced that the decision would be delayed until the 8 July 2022. This is to ensure there is sufficient time to fully consider further information provided by the applicant and interested parties in response to the Secretary of State’s post-examination consultation.

Melton Parish Council signed the Anglian Energy Planning Alliance letter which was sent to the Secretary of State (see Paper PLA(22)41).

22.59  Melton Neighbourhood Plan refresh

Cllr Brown reported that there is no pressing requirement to update the Neighbourhood Plan as it is in agreement with the adopted ESC Local Plan. The 5-year housing land supply in the Local Plan has not been legally challenged yet although it is dependent on some large housing schemes being delivered eg Felixstowe and Brightwell Lakes. However, a number of amendments to the Neighbourhood Plan have been suggested, including stating explicitly that access to the Carter-Warburg land should not be through St Andrew’s, to reinforce the drawings presented with the Neighbourhood Plan that show access through Riduna/Carter land. Cllr Gradwell noted that during the Inspection process the developer did write a letter to the Inspector stating that access would not be through St Andrew’s.

It is believed that the proposed changes would be classed as Material Changes requiring inspection and consultation but not a referendum, which would take approximately 6 months. As part of that process evidence would need to be gathered to support the case that access should not go through St Andrew’s estate. It is possible that an appeal or fresh application could be made before any amendment to the NP had been made and accepted at inspection.

It was suggested that a traffic survey be undertaken for St Andrew’s to establish if the site is viable for increased traffic levels but this would cost around £10k. Cllr Gradwell agreed to research how this might be done and investigate if any grants are available.

It was AGREED that MPC should once again try to facilitate discussions with the relevant landowners to see whether an access route through Riduna Park and part of the Carter site could be agreed. A meeting with the landowners should be sought within the next month.


It was also AGREED to propose to Full Council that MPC start work on amending the Neighbourhood Plan, including reference that access through St Andrew’s is not suitable. Cllr Gradwell offered her assistance with the refresh.

Proposed by: Cllr Gradwell                   Seconded by: Cllr Brown

22.60              To consider Local Highways, Traffic and parking Matters

22.60.01            Pedestrian improvements for Melton Road / Melton Hill and major redesign of approach to Winifred Fison House – update

The Clerk reported that the Melton Hill/Road crossings are still scheduled for July and the TRO for the double yellow lines is being drafted by Highways. Once an updated design for the car parking at Winifred Fison House is received hopefully this will allow a minor works licence to be granted and work can progress.

22.60.02            Bentwaters / Peninsular traffic issues

Cllr Brown reported that the group is trying to organise a meeting (potentially 23rd June) between ESC and Highways to identify what can be done to alleviate the traffic pinch points at Eyke, Tunstall and the Melton crossroads. Some vehicle movements are being excluded from the traffic counts but it is not clear what these are. It is suspected that they are agricultural vehicles.

22.60.04            Quiet Lanes – update

There is no further update on Wave 3 (Lodge Farm Lane and St Audry’s Lane). It was AGREED to propose to Full Council that Saddlemaker’s Lane should be included in Wave 4. A resident has emailed their comments that Quiet Lane signs won’t make the slightest difference to the way motorists use the road. However, members felt that by having signs alerting motorists that these roads are used by walkers, horse riders and cyclists it would act as a warning that some might take note of.

22.60.05            SCC Lighting Replacements

The Clerk reported that the LED lighting upgrade programme being carried out by SCC resulted in some of the traditional style lanterns being removed at Melton Park. Due to the swift intervention of Cllr Nicoll it has been agreed that the replacement lanterns will be in a traditional style in keeping with the rest of the estate. Councillors expressed their gratitude to Cllr Nicoll for this and his continued support in other matters and they asked the Clerk to convey their thanks to him.

22.61              To consider planning enforcement matters

22.61.01            ENF/22/0027/COND – Deben Meadows

Possible Breach of Control: Alleged breach of conditions 26 and 27 of DC/18/5216/VOC ·& DC/18/4890/DRC. The enforcement officer is away so no update has been received. There is also no update on the dispute regarding CIL payments.

22.61.02            East Suffolk authorised enforcement action – case update

Nothing to report

22.62              Planning Committee Chair’s urgent business

Nothing to report

22.63              Date of next meeting

The next meeting will take place on Wednesday 13th July 2022, commencing at 19:00 at 17 Riduna Park, Station Road, Melton IP12 1QT. There being no further business the meeting closed at 20:36.