Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
Press Release from Bruno Peek:
The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Beacons and Associated Activities June 2, 2022
Thousands of town criers, along with Pearly Kings and Queens, traditional and Northumberland pipers, buglers and choirs from communities across the four corners of the nation and the Commonwealth will lift up their voices and play and sing specially commissioned music prior to the lighting of over 1,500 Platinum Jubilee Beacons, at 9.45pm on Thursday 2nd June 2022.
- At 2pm hundreds of town criers and 50 Pearly Kings and Queens will announce a specially-written Proclamation heralding the lighting of the beacons later that evening.
- At 9.35pm local time across the UK and Commonwealth, traditional and Northumbrian pipers and pipe bands will play Diu Regnare, a unique tune specially-written for the occasion by Piper Major, Stuart Liddell, the world’s leading piper.
- At 9.40pm buglers linked to local beacon lightings across the UK and the capital cities of the Commonwealth will officially announce the lighting of the beacons with a specially written bugle call, entitled Majesty.
- Then at 9.45pm exactly local time, and to coincide with the lighting of the beacons, community choirs across all nations will sing Song for the Commonwealth, which has been written and composed by Lucy Keily, from Australia and Vincent Atueyi Chinemelu from Nigeria.
Cllr Porter has offered to manage the lighting of the beacon. A Risk Assessment needs to be carried out to be compliant with our insurance.
Members are asked to:
- Agree the programme of events on the 2nd June
- Decide who will carry out the Risk Assessment
- Offer to assist with marshalling at the Beacon lighting
Clerk and Executive Officer, Melton Parish Council