Telephone : 0333 335 5366
The Melton Good Neighbour Scheme (MGNS) is a volunteer-led charitable organization that provides practical support and companionship mainly to the older members of the community and others who may need support due to change in circumstances in Melton and the surrounding areas.
MGNS offers a range of services aimed at providing practical assistance and support to people in need, including:
- Befriending Service: We don’t have sufficient volunteers to be able to do this ourselves but we can signpost to people and organisations who may be able to help.
- Transport Service: This service provides transportation to people who cannot use public transport, particularly the elderly and disabled, who require assistance when visiting doctors, hospitals, or shopping.
- Handy Person Service: This service provides help with short-term gardening, small DIY jobs, and basic home maintenance.
- Prescription Service: We can collect prescriptions on request and deliver direct to your home
- We run a coffee morning the first Friday of the month between 10:00 am and 12pm in the Burness Parish rooms in Melton https://burnessparishrooms.org/ and everyone is welcome for chat, cake, quizzes and more.
- The cost-of-living crisis has affected us all but has massively influenced many in our community so the Melton Good Neighbour Scheme has given support to the Salvation Army food bank through delivering food parcels in the local community.
- We have directed people to the Melton Trust https://melton-suffolk-pc.gov.uk/the-melton-trust-help-for-those-in-need/ who can help those in times of hardship or distress.
The services offered by MGNS have had a profoundly positive impact on the community especially over the last couple years or so especially during the pandemic when people had difficulty getting to the pharmacy for prescriptions.
Data and Stats
Melton Good Neighbour Scheme has
4 committee members
7 volunteer drivers
8 volunteers who help with coffee mornings.
Since MGNS started in 2020 the scheme has provided the following services:
650 separate journeys including 450 trips for prescription deliveries, 150 journeys for doctors and hospital runs and 50 shopping trips.
We had 624 calls, 101 missed calls, 266 voicemails and 257 answered calls to our Switchboard number which is free to all our callers
The MGNS coffee morning has become a regular feature on the first Friday of every month
The Melton Good Neighbour Scheme is an invaluable service that provides essential support and combatting social isolation for people in the Melton community. Through its range of services, MGNS continues to provide practical assistance, companionship, and improved access to crucial services, significantly enhancing quality of life for those who receive its services.
We are still looking for volunteer drivers so if you are interested, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org