01394 382224 (Phone)


Recreation Committee
The Recreation Committee is responsible for the management and promotion of the playing fields, Burkes Wood, footpaths and rights of way, the Pavilion, play equipment, and the tennis courts.

Councillors on the Recreation Committee are:
Cllrs Gradwell, Holmes, James, Martin, Harvey-Smith, Taylor and Cllr Porter (ex officio)
Mrs C McBurney is also a non-councillor member of the committee

The Recreation Committee usually meets every other month. Schedule of Council Meetings

The Playing Field in Melton Road is one of the proudest possessions of the village.  It was opened in 1952 and replaced the Garrod Memorial Playing Field in Dock Lane. The field provides football pitches, tennis courts and a range of modern play equipment, including a zip wire, with safety surfacing aimed at all ages.

The field is looked after under contract by our greenspace management team, CGM, who make sure that the grass and hedges are cut, and the field maintained for residents and visitors to enjoy. The play equipment is kept in good order and any occasional acts of vandalism are cleared away by Phil Donoghue, the Maintenance Officer.

The play area is inspected regularly by the Council’s Maintenance Officer and condition reports submitted to the Parish Clerk. There is an annual inspection carried out (usually in July) by an independent professional organisation called The Play Inspection Company. View the annual inspection report for 2020.

The Pavilion building will be rebuilt in the next few years and the residents will be consulted on what facilities could be provided. There are no public toilets in the playing fields.

The two tennis courts provide excellent hard-court facilities. To hire a court (£6 per hour) call in at the John Grose Spar shop on Melton Road. 01394 380664.

The playing fields adjoin Burkes Wood, a part of Melton Woods, which also belongs to the village having been given by the late Sir Roland and Lady Burke.

Any clubs, organisations or businesses wishing to use the facilities need to seek permission from the Parish Council first.