The Recreation Committee is responsible for the management and promotion of the playing fields, Burkes Wood, footpaths and rights of way, the Pavilion, play equipment, and the tennis courts.
Councillors on the Recreation Committee are:
Cllrs Ashworth, Gradwell, Holmes, Martin and Taylor and Cllr Porter (ex officio)
Mrs E Ashford and Mrs C McBurney are also a non-councillor member of the committee
The Recreation Committee meets every other month. Calendar of meetings May 2019 – May 2020
The Playing Field in Melton Road is one of the proudest possessions of the village. It was opened in 1952 and replaced the Garrod Memorial Playing Field in Dock Lane. The field provides football pitches, tennis courts and a range of modern play equipment, including a zip wire, with safety surfacing aimed at all ages.
The field is looked after under contract by our greenspace management team, SCL, who make sure that the grass and hedges are cut, and the field maintained for residents and visitors to enjoy. The play equipment is kept in good order and any occasional acts of vandalism are cleared away by Phil Donoghue, the Village Handyperson.
The play area is inspected regularly by the Council’s Handyperson and condition reports submitted to the Parish Clerk. There is an annual inspection carried out (usually in July) by an independent professional organisation called The Play Inspection Company. View the annual inspection report for 2019
The Pavilion building will be rebuilt in the next few years and the residents will be consulted on what facilities could be provided. There are no public toilets in the playing fields.
The two tennis courts provide excellent hard-court facilities. To hire a court (£6 per hour) call in at the John Grose Spar shop on Melton Road.
The playing fields adjoin Burkes Wood, a part of Melton Woods, which also belongs to the village having been given by the late Sir Roland and Lady Burke.