FRM(23)M01 Minutes of FERM Committee meeting on 8th February 2023

FERMFERM Minutes Uploaded on February 13, 2023



Minutes of the meeting of Melton Parish Council Finance, Employment and Risk Management (FERM) Committee held on Wednesday 8th February 2023, commencing at 19:00, at the Melton Parish Council offices, 17 Riduna Park, Station Road, Melton, IP12 1QT.

Cllr Banks (in the Chair)
Cllr Brown
Cllr Crawford
Cllr Gradwell
Cllr Porter
Cllr Taylor

Cllr Packard

In Attendance:
Pip Alder, Clerk of Melton Parish Council

Part One – Open to the Public

Item No         Item to be discussed

23.01              To receive apologies for absence

Apologies were received from Cllr Packard

23.02              Declarations of Interest

23.02.01            To receive Declarations of Interest in Respect of Items on the Agenda

None were received

23.02.02           To consider any applications for dispensations

None were received

23.03              Public Participation Session

No members of the public were present

23.04              To approve the Minutes of the Previous Meeting

It was RESOLVED to agree the minutes of the meeting held on 14th December 2022 (FRM(22)M05) previously distributed and they were signed and dated by the Chair.

Proposed by: Cllr Porter           Seconded by: Cllr Brown

23.05              To consider Financial and Internal Control matters

23.05.01           To consider the Management Accounts for the period 1st April 2022 to 31st January 2023 and the current budget position

Papers FRM(23)05.01 and FRM(23)05.01a-g which were previously distributed were received and noted. The bank statements were verified and signed by the Chair. The Clerk will update the budget allocated for the Pavilion build in Scribe to reflect the additional budget allocations made to the EMR. The move from Alpha to Scribe has been successful and the new system appears to be working well. It was agreed that a best estimate for the cost of the island crossings would be accrued at year end if no invoice has been received and the Clerk would discuss with Scribe how best to deal with any Pavilion income that should be classed as prepayments.

23.05.02           To consider updates to the 2023/24 budget

The Clerk reported that some adjustments would need to be made to the 2023/24 budget, as detailed in paper FRM(23)05.02. It was agreed to adjust the greenspace management (increase by £622), audit (increase by £25), bank interest (increase to £600) and building society interest (increase to £650). The Pavilion electricity and Pavilion income and running costs budgets will continue to be monitored and adjusted when more accurate figures are available. There could be a change in Broadband charges as Riduna Park has a new provider. The Clerk will update the Council when information is available.

23.06              To review risk management issues

23.06.01            Risk Register –

The Risk Register was reviewed and it was agreed to leave all risk levels as they currently stand. The final line of the Financial Risk commentary will be changed to ‘The Council will continue exercising tight control over expenditure in the financial year and the next. The Precept for 2023/24 is being increased’. The Pavilion build risk will be removed once the defects have been completed; the review is being undertaken on 9th February.

23.06.02            Data Protection Risk Register –

The Data Protection Risk Register was reviewed and no changes were required. Cllr Gradwell confirmed that all third party data held in relation to the fete was held securely.

23.07  Pavilion Update

The Clerk gave a verbal report to the Committee. The Pavilion is booked on most days of the week and a café will be trialling at weekends. The batteries are now working properly, drainage has been installed, adjustments to the lining of the car park has been done and blinds have been fitted. Quotes for sound absorption boards were presented to the Committee and it was unanimously RESOLVED to purchase 10 cloudsorba panels in white for the ceiling and fixing kit for £1,464. The Clerk will seek quotes for installation if the maintenance officer cannot fit them. The Clerk and maintenance officer are meeting with the architect to compile the defects list now that the 6 month warranty period is almost finished.  Cllr Gradwell reported that the Open Event is taking place on the 25th March from 12.30 – 2.30 for the invited guests and 2-5pm for general public.

23.08              To consider employment matters

23.08.01           Staffing report

The Clerk reported that things were becoming more manageable and was pleased that the new meeting structure was being trialled from March. It was agreed that Cllr Gradwell will meet with the Assistant Clerk as she has now been in post for 12 months, to check in and offer any assistance required. The Clerk will purchase a sympathy card for the maintenance officer to be signed on behalf of the Council by the Chair and Vice Chairs of the Council.

23.09              To consider governance matters

23.09.01            Report of decisions made by Clerk/Assistant Clerk under the Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014

Paper FRM(23)09.01, previously distributed relating to the installation of drainage at the Pavilion and white lining in the car park, was received and noted.

23.10              Finance Committee Chair’s urgent business

There was none.

23.11              Date of next meeting

No further FERM meetings are currently planned however a meeting will be convened between the Clerk and Committee Chairs to discuss the Working Group arrangements. There being no further business the meeting closed at 20:07.