Financial Aid for Flood-Affected Properties

Financial aid for flood-affected properties in Suffolk imminent as number of reports hits 750

Suffolk residents who experienced exceptional property flooding during Storm Babet will start receiving financial support during November.

Following the recent Government announcement of grants and council tax reductions through the Flood Recovery Framework, councils in Suffolk have received 750 reports of internal flooding to homes or businesses, and this number is expected to increase.

Suffolk councils are working together, with Suffolk County Council collecting information and assessing the reports, and the district and borough councils distributing the funding to eligible property owners.

All reports of property flooding need to be submitted via the Suffolk County Council reporting tool now.

Councillor Matthew Hicks, Suffolk County Council’s leader, said:

“We are committed to ensuring this vital financial support finds its way into the hands of those who need it. I encourage those who have not yet submitted a report via the reporting tool to do so as soon as possible.”

Households and businesses that suffered internal flooding between 19 – 25 October 2023 due to Storm Babet may be eligible for:

  • A grant (£500 for homes and £2,500 per business) to assist with initial recovery costs.
  • Households and businesses that suffered internal flooding between 19 -25 October due to Storm Babet may be eligible for 100% discount to council tax / business rates for a minimum of 3 months.
  • Flooded property owners will also be able to apply for up to £5,000 to help make their homes and businesses more resilient to future flooding. Suffolk County Council is working to set this scheme up at the earliest opportunity, but it is not currently available.


Suffolk County Council is working in partnership with Babergh and Mid-Suffolk, East Suffolk, Ipswich and West Suffolk councils to ensure these discounts and payments start during November.

Reporting your flood damage is the first step to receiving a potential payout.

If you have experienced flooding to your property as a result of Storm Babet, you need to:

  1. Visit:
  2. Click on: ‘Report It’
  3. Then click: ‘Drainage and Flooding’
  4. Then click: ‘Flooding inside residential / non-residential property’
  5. Please include as much information as you have, there is also an option to upload photos.
  6. Once your report has been submitted, Suffolk County Council officers will contact you to gather further information and prioritise those locations that meet the criteria for an official investigation.
  7. Someone from the district or borough council will then contact you to arrange payment, if eligible.

For those who aren’t able to submit their report online, please call 0345 606 6171.